Clear, Blue Skies

Writing this with an undeniable peace in my heart as I get on the plane in London Heathrow that is about to depart towards Ho Chi Minh (tran...

Writing this with an undeniable peace in my heart as I get on the plane in London Heathrow that is about to depart towards Ho Chi Minh (transit) before heading towards Singapore. It is finally the end of my "#siolsisters exchange", as Joelle​ put it (-:

It has been months of battling bitterness of not being able to go for a 6-month exchange programme in Turkey - mostly because I was certain that God wanted me to stay in Singapore. Throughout my life, there were many missed opportunities to be obedient to my Father. It came to a point last year when I finally told myself ok enough, I want to align my heart with His. Although I did not know the reason why I had to miss out on exchange, my heart was certain of the fact that He always is faithful and walking in His path will never be wrong. Recognising His peace allowed me to obey without much of a struggle at that point in time. I did not apply for exchange. However, there were many 'what-ifs' that followed and the resentment in me built up when I saw other friends leave for exchange and have the time of their lives.

Regardless, it was over the months that it became clear why God wanted me to stay. The hurt I had in my heart was easily dissolved whenever I turned to His grace. And He gradually opened my eyes and many doors for me to grow in Him during the semester that I was supposed to be gone for exchange. He guided me to retrieve several lost friendships and even helped me to display forgiveness to one. He prompted me to bring a friend to church to know more about Jesus and invite another to be a regular attendee. He helped me to overcome my struggles of being a youth leader and revealed to me how important it is to shift my focus towards Him instead of being so self-indulgent.

As I was talking to Jo on my last night in London, we both realised how everything fell into place for this trip to happen - for Wen Ying​, herself and I. Our best-friend-LDR has been a clear hindrance in our communication with each other (4 out of 4 of us don't even like texting), so an opportunity for us to gather for 3 weeks straight was a sweet reunion. (: I thank God for allowing our paths to cross once more; to be able to build stronger the friendships we have made 7 years ago. Of course, not leaving out Kat​ who wasn't able to join us; we even had the time to visit Notts despite her exam schedule. It had been 2.5 years since all 4 of us gathered in one place.

Jo told me that this was like my mini exchange - without the school part - which is basically awesomesauce hehe <: I had the liberation of being alone on my last day in London for the first time in almost 4 weeks (woohoo haha being around people 24/7 can be super exhausting, really) and I decided to take a leisure stroll through Hyde Park.


The skies were strikingly blue that day (pix above) - an extremely rare sight in gloomy boom doom London. I asked God why was He so good to me???? B'cos that wasn't the first time during the trip I saw God display His power and control in the form of a clear blue sky - I also saw it in Nimes, Cuenca, Segovia, Notts, Manch. It really may seem like nothing much - blue sky nia. But hm, when the weather forecast says that there is going to be a thunderstorm in 2-degree weather, the appearance of any bit of blue in the sky is a miracle, if not, it's the legend of Aang woohoo. But Aang is just a cartoon so obviously IT'S THE HAND OF GOD duh!!!!! Ok lame, gonna blame it on the jet lag lolol.

Yeah, God has been extremely gracious to us for the entire trip. The trip went surprisingly well - no mishaps, no missing items, no conmen, pickpockets, no missing trains, planes, no attacks, enough money, huge display of grace by the train ticket lady, the free Nimes tower ticket, the amazing weather in spite of forecasted thunderstorm, not losing the Miss Saigon tickets (haha) etcetera etcetera.

It truly is a wonder - how He works. When we decide to follow His steps and do His work, He will reward us in His time. He will send people to guide us. He will walk together with us. He has so much in store for you and me. And we shouldn't limit it.

This month-long holiday away from home is a great, great awakening - one that I can look back to - of God's faithfulness in my life. He recognised my desires and answered my prayers not in the way that I thought, but in a far, more amazing way. In the end, I still managed to go for an "exchange programme"- a unique one made just for me! Plus, it was with friends whom I really care for. (:

It was also a time where I was reminded again and again by Him and by the people around me to look inwardly and shift my focus to what He has already done by reading the Word instead of focusing so much on what I can do for Him. Too many times I have relied on my own strength to do His work that I have forsaken a strength far greater than any other.

He is really an amazing God. He also sent the right people to journey with me. (: I would like to thank Joelle, for our meaningful conversations and constantly reminding me how important the Word is; Ben Ong and Marcus Chua, for prompting me to not forsake His Word even whilst on holiday; Aunt Kathy, who provided for me even when her back was hurting; Wen Ying, for teaching me patience; and Abi Chue, who in our conversation just prior to this trip, allowed me to realise how self-centered I've been in my relationship with Christ. Thank you all!!!!! (-: Muacks.

For 2016, I have an inkling that my travels will take a different focus and possess an even greater privilege, for I have been constantly told to BE STILL before Him. I have been away from home too much in 2015 (I travelled to 11 countries - yes, I counted HAHA) and I believe that God desires for me to stay where I am AKA because I really need to retain my BSF Revelation spot and also, last year's adventures proved to be detrimental in leading the worship committee effectively. Well, I am all for it because to journey and walk in step with Him daily is the greatest travel adventure one could ever dream of!!!! It is indeed more than a privilege. (: Outwardly, I could be staying put in one place, but my heart will always be travelling with the One who knows the world best; seeking and discovering.

Cheers to an adventurous 2016 x

"Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel went up and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky. But God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank."
Exodus 24 : 9 - 11 NIV

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images